The Teach Back Method - Enhancing Patient Understanding - 2020
Starts: 8/24/2020 9:00 AM
Ends: 8/24/2020 12:00 PM
Register for this Workshop/Event
The Teach Back Method:
Enhancing Patient Understanding
Monday, August 24, 2020
9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
RWHC Office & Training Center
880 Independence Lane, Sauk City
Registration Deadline: August 3rd
RWHC Member & Affiliate Member: $125
Non-RWHC Member: $150
Fee includes program handouts and refreshments.
RWHC is a CEU provider through the Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Education & Training (WISHET)
Instrutor: Erin Smital, RN, RWHC Nursing Professional Development Educator
Target Audience: Nurses and other healthcare providers that are responsible for education of patients in hospital or clinic settings.
Program Description: Did you know that 40-80% of medical information patients are given is forgotten immediately? Combine that with the fact that ½ of the information they retain is actually incorrect, and you have a huge problem on your hands. By using the Teach Back Method you can ensure that you are communicating with your patient in a way they understand.You can feel confident that the education you have provided will be retained and utilized by the patient far after discharge.
Participants will learn to:
- Identify the 4 basic ways patients take in information
- Increase patient satisfaction
- Create an environment that feels safe for the patient
- Improve outcomes and meet patient needs
- Use the “Chunk and Check” method for educating the patients
Consider taking this workshop if the following are mostly true for you:
- You find that your department has increased call backs, re-admissions or multiple unnecessary patient appointments
- Your patients are often not adhering to the treatment plan
- There is a disconnect between discharge instructions/after visit summaries and patient understanding
- You feel as though you are not connecting with your patients
Visit the RWHC Clinical Education Series web page to view all our class offerings.