Motivational Interviewing 101
Wednesday, May 17, 2023
8:30 am to 12:30 pm CT
PLEASE NOTE: We request that each participant participate from his/her own computer, and use a webcam. This will allow you to participate in the breakout group discussions that are an important part of the learning experience.
Registration deadline is April 26th
RWHC Member & Affiliate Member
$135 per person
$160 per person
Fee includes program handouts.
RWHC is approved as a provider of continuing health education by the Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Education and Training (WISHET). RWHC designates this activity for up to 4 contact hours (0.4 CEUs) of continuing education for allied health professionals.
Erin Smital, RN, is the Nursing Professional Development Educator, Nurse Residency Coordinator and Lean Residency Coordinator at the Rural Wisconsin Health Cooperative. Along with being an RN, Erin brings forward years of experience in various leadership roles in and out of healthcare. In addition to developing and presenting numerous leadership and nursing focused workshops, she also provides training in de-escalation as a Certified Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Instructor.
Healthcare workers that are responsible for education of patients in hospital or clinic settings
Please note: This workshop is intended for beginners to gain a baseline understanding of motivational interviewing concepts.
What if I told you it is not your job to “fix” your patients?
What if I told you they have the power to change themselves, and it’s your job to help them recognize and identify that power?
Motivational Interviewing is a patient centered approach for eliciting behavior change by helping patients explore and understand what is holding them back from being successful. Motivational Interviewing focuses on an empathetic, open minded approach, using various skills that ultimately provides the patient with the ability to recognize the discrepancy between their current behavior and their end goal. That new patient-discovered perspective leads to increased patient engagement, adherence to treatment plan and ultimately overall success in meeting their goals.
Participants will learn to:
- Identify and explain the core principles of Motivational Interviewing
- Improve active listening and reflective listening skills
- Become comfortable using open ended questions
- Develop discrepancy between clients' goals or values and their current behavior
- Remain flexible to client resistance rather than opposing it directly
- Support patient self-management and growth
Consider taking this workshop if the following are mostly true for you:
- You would like to improve retention, adherence and outcomes in your patient population
- You crave true connection with your patients
- You are burned out with individuals that seem to not take accountability for their own healthcare
- You would like to develop a partnership with your patients and increase their overall well being
- You would like to have a more powerful, positive, long term impact on the individuals you work with
Visit the RWHC Leadership Series web page to view all our class offerings.