Motivational Interviewing - 2021
Event Starts: 3/11/2021 8:30 AM
Event Ends: 3/11/2021 12:30 PM
Sign Up To This Event
Motivational Interviewing (4-hr)
Date: Thursday, March 11, 2021
Time:8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Registration deadline is February 18
RWHC Member & Affiliate Member - $125 per person
Non-RWHC Member - $150 per person
Continuing Education Credit:
RWHC is a CEU provider through the Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Education & Training (WISHET)
Erin Smital, RN, Nursing Professional Development Educator, RWHC
Healthcare workers that are responsible for education of patients in hospital or clinic settings
What if I told you it is not your job to “fix” your patients?
What if I told you they have the power to change themselves, and it’s your job to help them recognize and identify that power?
Motivational Interviewing is a patient centered approach for eliciting behavior change by helping patients explore and understand what is holding them back from being successful. Motivational Interviewing focuses on an empathetic, open minded approach, using various skills that ultimately provides the patient with the ability to recognize the discrepancy between their current behavior and their end goal. That new patient-discovered perspective leads to increased patient engagement, adherence to treatment plan and ultimately overall success in meeting their goals.
Participants will learn to:
- Identify and explain the core principles of Motivational Interviewing
- Improve active listening and reflective listening skills
- Become comfortable using open ended questions
- Develop discrepancy between clients' goals or values and their current behavior
- Remain flexible to client resistance rather than opposing it directly
- Support patient self-management and growth\
Consider taking this workshop if the following are mostly true for you:
- You would like to improve retention, adherence and outcomes in your patient population
- You crave true connection with your patients
- You are burned out with individuals that seem to not take accountability for their own healthcare
- You would like to develop a partnership with your patients and increase their overall well being
- You would like to have a more powerful, positive, long term impact on the individuals you work with