Instructor: Jo Anne Preston, RWHC Workforce & Organizational Development Senior Manager
Target Audience: Healthcare Managers, both experienced and new in their role
Program Description: Everyone struggles from time to time with communicating effectively. The topic “communication” is large! This workshop zeroes in on the most common challenges people have with communication: being assertive, speaking with clarity to make sure your message comes across right, managing your emotions while having tough conversations, listening well, body language and bad habits that get in the way of our intended message. Join us to become a more confident, assertive and skilled communicator.
Participants will learn to:
- Understand the 4 basic types of communication
- Demonstrate assertive communication skills: reflective listening, establishing mutual
trust and purpose, speaking with consistent words and body language, and defending
your ideas with tact and professionalism
- Recognize and manage the emotions that get in the way of effective communication
- Understand how to deliver one message multiple ways to different personality types
- Identify and learn 10 tips to avoid some common pitfalls of communication
Consider taking this workshop if the following are mostly true for you:
- I sometimes struggle to manage my frustration or other emotional reactions when trying to communicate with challenging individuals
- I can lose my focus and get derailed when I am trying to get my point across
- I feel like I communicate all the time but I still have people tell me that they didn’t know what I expected
- I don’t have the trust from my team that I would like to have
- Sometimes I back off when I anticipate the conversation will be difficult
- I find myself sometimes blurting out statements that I wish I could take back
- I jump to conclusions sometimes only to learn later that I missed important information
Visit the RWHC Leadership Series web page to view all our class offerings.
If you would like more information about the RWHC Leadership Series, please email Education Services Manager, Carrie Ballweg, or call 608-643-2343.