There are three main components to the program:
1. Live Shopper experience at your hospital:
A staff person from another RWHC Member hospital will arrive at your facility to learn more about your services. This will be done under a pre-determined scenario such as “My mother is coming to live with us and I want to learn about your rehab services,” or “My sister is moving to this town and she had questions about your labor and delivery services.” The Shopper will report on their experience interacting with your staff, report on signage, noise levels, cleanliness, ease of navigation, and any other notable occurrences during their visit.
2. Phone Shopper: This will be used to determine consistency of branding and staff interactions during phone calls to your hospital. Calls will occur during multiple shifts and days, and will be completed within a two-week period. Different reasons for the calls will be provided, e.g. “I am sorry, I meant to contact the Therapy department, could you please transfer me,” or “What are your clinic/urgent care hours?” Calls should be made from cell phones so a hospital name does not show up on caller ID.
3. Website Shopper: This will be used to evaluate your hospital's website in terms of ease of navigation, consistency of branding, overall appearance, relevant and current information, etc.
Participating Hospital Requirements:
- Identify a “Mystery Shopper” from your hospital for each of the three components of the program
- All Shoppers will participate in the Mystery Shopper Orientation Training Webinar on Thursday, May 17 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
- Please note: Returning Shoppers are not required to attend the training. Shoppers will leave training with an understanding of the purpose/process of the mystery shopping experience, be comfortable with and understand the rating tools, and how to troubleshoot any potential problems that may arise. Our goal is that Shoppers leave feeling comfortable and ready for the experience.
- “Take Out What You Put In.” If you choose to have this service for your hospital, the requirement is that you return the same service to another participating hospital.
- Each participating hospital agrees to cover all travel, telephone, or related expenses for their staff.
- Monitor and assign Shoppers to ensure that anonymity is maintained for the Shopper, and that any non-negotiables are identified for the hospital (e.g. hospitals with overlapping marketplaces may not want to be mystery shopped by one another). Work with Members to identify potential Shoppers
- Assign and facilitate Shopping Experiences between Members
- Act as a liaison between the Shopper and the Hospital being shopped
- Maintain anonymity of all Shoppers
- Train all Shoppers on how to provide a comprehensive experience and report
- Provide and review all reports to the hospital that has been “shopped”
- May: Shopper Training on May 17
- June/July: Shopping occurs (live, phone and website)
- August: Shoppers submit reports to RWHC by August 10
- September: Final reports sent to hospital CEO
RWHC is pleased to offer this service at no cost to Members!
Upon registration, will receive the Memorandum of Understanding for you to complete and return to RWHC. Registration deadline is May 10.
If you have any questions regarding this program, please contact Carrie Ballweg, Education Services Manager, RWHC, firstname.lastname@example.org, 608-643-2343.