Become a Dynamic Communicator - 2022
Event Starts: 6/15/2022 9:00 AM
Event Ends: 6/22/2022 3:30 PM
Sign Up To This Event
Become a Dynamic Communicator!
Wednesdays, June 15 & 22, 2022
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. CST daily
Registration Deadline: May 20
RWHC Member & Affiliate Member: $160 per person
Non-RWHC Member: $190 per person
Fee includes program handouts.
RWHC is approved as a provider of continuing health education by the Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Education and Training (WISHET).
RWHC designates this activity for up to 6 contact hours
(0.6 CEUs) of continuing education for allied health professionals.
Jo Anne Preston is the Workforce and Organizational Development Senior Manager at the Rural Wisconsin Health Cooperative, where she brings over four decades of her healthcare leadership experience to designing and delivering leadership and employee education for rural healthcare throughout Wisconsin and the United States. She has a M.S. in Educational Psychology/Community Counseling from Eastern Illinois University, is the author of Lead the Way in Five Minutes a Day: Sparking High Performance in Yourself and Your Team, and writes a monthly leadership blog.
Healthcare Managers, both experienced and new in their role
Everyone struggles from time to time with communicating effectively. The topic “communication” is large! This workshop zeroes in on the most common challenges people have with communication: being assertive, speaking with clarity to make sure your message comes across right, managing your emotions while having tough conversations, listening well, body language and bad habits that get in the way of our intended message. Join us to become a more confident, assertive and skilled communicator.
Participants will learn to:
- Understand the 4 basic types of communication
- Demonstrate assertive communication skills: reflective listening, establishing mutual trust and purpose, speaking with consistent words and body language, and defending your ideas with tact and professionalism
- Recognize and manage the emotions that get in the way of effective communication
- Understand how to deliver one message multiple ways to different personality types
- Identify and learn 10 tips to avoid some common pitfalls of communication
Consider taking this workshop if the following are mostly true for you:
- I sometimes struggle to manage my frustration or other emotional reactions when trying to communicate with challenging individuals
- I can lose my focus and get derailed when I am trying to get my point across
- I feel like I communicate all the time but I still have people tell me that they didn’t know what I expected
- I don’t have the trust from my team that I would like to have
- Sometimes I back off when I anticipate the conversation will be difficult
- I find myself sometimes blurting out statements that I wish I could take back
- I jump to conclusions sometimes only to learn later that I missed important information
Visit the RWHC Leadership Series web page to view all our class offerings.